Sunday, May 16, 2010

Weekly Reflection 1: A Week of Solitude

Hello from the Shores!

So this is my weekly reflection… here goes.

I realized today that actually my weeks don’t ever really end. This entire weekend was spent either working on the book or in the theatre. This coming week will probably be even more intense work wise, a lot more work in the theatre, and I need to get several more chapters under my belt. But I’m looking ahead, time to focus on behind

This week I learned not only a lot about writing and stage-managing, but also a lot about myself and how I operate while no one is around. I was vindicated in the idea that this would be the prefect place to come and work. Far away from distractions and people I can just buckle down and focus on the writing. By the end of the week I have written a total of 28 pages. Not exactly what I wanted, but an accomplishment none the less. Honestly I couldn’t think of anything I would rather be doing right now. Maybe if I could have spent a little less time in the theatre and more writing than that would have been better but maybe it’s a good balance. It keeps my mind in different places.

A few things surprised me this week. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed just spending my time up here by myself. I think that over this year what with the college process, football, directing the play, and other things I didn’t get to spend enough time by myself. It feels really good to catch up on all that time, just being able to sit and process has been really nice. It has also really benefited my writing, and allowed me to manage my stress level with the play in a much better way.

Overall this was an amazing week. I’m living in a cabin in the woods next to a pond. I don’t have anyone or anything to distract me and I get to spend most of my day doing something that I love. There really is no downside. All I can hope is that this week will be a lot more writing and a little less planning. There might also be a bit of editing this week as well since hopefully Mary has worked her way through the first part of the book by now. Well that’s all for me for this week. Back to you again tomorrow with another daily update!

Regards,
sam

1 comment:

  1. i love catching this glimpse into your experience sam, what an amazing way to end an amazing three years...
    very cool thank you for sharing this.
    xx

    ReplyDelete